Continuous extraction of water will eventually lead to the depletion of water resources available in and around the industrial sites. The disposal of wastewater into the surrounding natural waterways pollutes both the subterranean and surface water beds. This implies ever rising reconditioning costs to make the water reusable. Green Europe can help you save on those costs!
The « end of water shelf-life » treatment approach, at the low cost, will become ever more crucial and this proportionately to the effluent disposal standards that are becoming stricter over time, with the cost of water continuously rising.
A growing number of industrial companies are beginning to adopt the « water reuse » concept. This « water reuse » concept consists of re-employing, as much as possible, the same industrial wastewater that a company churns out from its processes.
Technological progress nowadays makes it possible to treat wastewater to be reused industrially.
During the industrial process, this mechanism can be devised in three ways:
- Reusing the water: water exiting an industrial process is reused to power an adjacent industrial process, with no additional intake or action. In this system, less fresh water is necessary and therefore less water will get disposed into the sewage system.
- Combining water reuse and water regeneration: after an interposing treatment, the exiting water from one process is reused to power an adjacent process.
- Partial effluent treatment: the idea is to treat water exiting a particular working station that is liable to create issues for the whole volume of water treated in a residual water installation. This technique presents a multitude of advantages: it saves time, energy and water consumption and it reduces dependence on chemical products for treating wastewater.
Opportunities do exist for you to enhance significantly your return on investments if adopting the « water reuse » concept. It is especially true for smaller flow ratesharbouring a higher concentration of polluting elements.
In the cooling systems: the actual flow rate of water is generally different to the rate initially predicted. The reason is because of introduction of new production tools over time. The critical exchangers function properly when the ambient temperature is still low, since any loss in efficiency is compensated by the ventilation system in the cooling towers working normally. During the Summer, on the other hand, there is a drop in output, because this compensation factor is negated. The « water reuse » system will raise the output of the water exchangers.
Within the cooling towers, the situation becomes critical when both the temperature and humidity of the air rise up. If the towers have multiple cells, a higher performance can be obtained by a better water distribution through the different cells. Using this simple technique, it is possible to avoid the potential costs of using other programmes to solve this problem. Monitoring programmes used in the cooling towers, based for example on the real flow rate of water and the number of therms to be eliminated, can provide precise information on the measures needing to be taken.
In wastewater treatment installations: there are a number of possibilities for reusing the wastewater, without any additional treatment, but a limited disbursement at the most (filtration, sterilisation, RO, UF, EDI, vacuume vaporation, etc.). Water generated by these techniques can mainly be used as feedwater into cooling towers, fire extinguishing systems, …
Water, this « Blue Gold » that is becoming ever more expensive, needs to be used as many times as is ever possible and in the most rational manner.
The distribution cost of water is undergoing a significant hike, with its tailing off plateau beyond current predictions. The « water reuse » approach, if well planned, can lead to a significant reduction in fresh water consumption and, therefore, seeing your overall bills cut. The possible profitable actions to be taken are :
- Reducing purges of your semi-open cooling circuits ;
- Reducing purges of your boilers ;
- An effective detection programme for water leaks (underground, in reservoirs, at the surface) ;
- Cutting out steam loss (maintenance of steam traps and optimisation of stripping steam), ….
You want to take better control of your water consumption? Don’t waste time anymore, be proactive and contact Green Europe ! Green Europe’s team of specialists are here to guide you towards the best solution for your specific needs.